These flavorful lamb meatballs simmer in a Moroccan spiced tomato sauce and are served over herb and lemon couscous, for an exotic take on an Italian classic.
Prep Time :25 Minutes
Cook Time : 35 Minutes
Total Time : 60
Yield : 4
- Stir in raisins or chopped apricots into sauce for a touch of sweetness.
- 1/2 pkg (6 oz) Casbah® Original Couscous
- 1/4 cup each loosely packed finely chopped fresh cilantro and parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander and paprika
- 3/4 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp each chili flakes, ground cinnamon and crushed fennel seeds
- 1 jar (18 oz) strained tomato puree
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Herb Couscous: Prepare couscous according to package directions. Let cool completely. Toss with cilantro, parsley, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Lamb Meatballs: Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat. Cook onion, ginger, 2 cloves garlic, thyme, cumin, coriander, paprika, 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, chili flakes, cinnamon and fennel, for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Pour in tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together lamb, bread crumbs, egg, green onion, mint, remaining garlic and remaining each salt and pepper. Divide into 16 equal portions and roll into balls. One at a time, drop meatballs into sauce. Cover and cook for 13 to 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and tender.
- Serve meatballs over Herb Couscous. Top with dollop of yogurt and pine nuts.