Accented with sweet apricots and tangy green olives, this rich chicken stew smells and tastes fantastic.
Prep Time :20 Minutes
Cook Time : 50 Minutes
Total Time : 1 Hours, 10 Minutes
Yield : 4
- Just as nice with chicken breast, chicken drumsticks, or chicken legs.
- For additional flavor, add a pinch of saffron threads.
- 1 pkg (7 oz) Casbah® Organic Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil Couscous
- 8 small bone-in, skin on chicken thighs (approximately 2 1/2 to 3 lb)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander and ground turmeric
- Pinch cinnamon
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat. Cook chicken for 13 to 15 minutes, rotating once, or until browned all over. Transfer to plate.
- Cook onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender and lightly golden brown. Stir in green olives, thyme, paprika, coriander, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, apricots and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Place chicken gently on top of sauce so that the skin is facing up. Transfer to oven, uncovered. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove bay leaves. Stir in half parsley and lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions.
- Serve chicken over couscous. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.