Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern dish made with chickpeas, wheat ﬂour, and spices. Crispy prepared falafel is traditionally served in a pita with fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and tahini sauce, but can also be served with a side of rice or salad.
- Casbah®’s Falafel Mix
- Water (see water servings below for exact quantity needed)
- Vegetable Oil (if frying)
- Olive Oil (if baking)
- If you use 1 cup of Falafel Mix, add 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp of water (this will provide you with 2-3 servings; about 12 small patties)
- If you use the whole box of Falafel Mix, add 1/2 cup + 4 tbsp of water (this will provide you with 4-6 servings; about 24 small patties)
- Combine Casbah® Falafel Mix with cold water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour vegetable oil ½ inch deep or more into a deep fryer or skillet. Heat oil at approx. 180-190C or 355-375F.
- Form small patties or balls using two spoons or a melon baller. Fry patties 1-2 minutes on each side until brown and crisp. Place patties on paper towels. Serve while hot.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Combine the Casbah® Falafel Mix with cold water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Form small patties or balls using two spoons or a melon baller. Place on baking sheet and lightly coat falafels with olive oil spray.
- Bake on center rack of oven until bottoms are golden and tops puff, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 2-3 minutes before serving.
Pictures by Erb&Spice.