Baked instead of fried, these breaded rice balls are filled with cheese, chorizo, and peas.
Prep Time :25 Minutes
Cook Time : 60
Total Time : 1 Hours, 25 Minutes
Yield : 10
- Also delicious with tomato salsa.
- 1 pkg (7 oz) Casbah® Spanish Pilaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 raw chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup cooked green peas
- 2 cups dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Spanish Rice Balls: Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cook pilaf according to package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in small skillet set over medium heat. Cook sausage breaking up with a spoon, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned and cooked through; cool completely.
- Stir together rice, 3/4 cup Parmesan and Mozzarella. Roll 1/4 cup (63 g) rice mixture into a ball. Create an indentation in the center for the filling. Place 1 tbsp cooked sausage and 1 tsp peas into center of each ball. Reshape the rice to enclose filling. Repeat to make 10 rice balls.
- Toss together bread crumbs with remaining Parmesan, salt and pepper. Coat rice balls first in flour, then dip in the beaten eggs and roll in breadcrumbs until well coated. Arrange on parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spacing at least 2-inches apart. Drizzle with remaining oil.
- Bake, turning once, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and filling is heated through.
- Avocado Cream Sauce: Puree avocado, sour cream, lime juice and salt in a blender until smooth. Arrange rice balls on a platter; drizzle with avocado cream sauce and sprinkle with cilantro.